PHOTOS OF INITIAL POP UP
Piano Pop Up paper model. Inspired by Hiroko Paper
REFERENCES AND LOOK DEVELOPMENT
Photos taken in Savannah and style images obtained from the
Clay and wireframe
Started doing my details in Illustrator, converted the
vectors to 3D and retopologized the geometry in Maya.
Used a tool I created, to add variation to the position,
rotation and scale of the brick path.
PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS
During this project I encountered three main
1. High PolyCount
Modeling all the details in the scene would result in a
very high poly count.
I decided to use presence and displacement for some details
that are not close to camera.
2. Washed out colors
When rendering my textures I noticed that the colores
looked very washed away.
To solve this issue I added extra Renderman Attributes to
my texture and set it to Linearize RGB.
3. Details were lost
After rendering the general shot of the scene, I
noticed that most of the small details were lost.
To solve this issue I added two direct lights linked to the
details I wanted to pop-out and mapped the CutrVelvet node
to the front color to add a darker outline.
I had a lot of fun doing this project. I have used
Renderman before, for basic renders, but this time I was able
to explore it a little more.
For example, I had never used the DeNoiser function, which was
very useful to make my renders faster without loosing
I also learned about Renderman's shaders and lights; and how to
use texturing to optimize my modeling.
There are some small things I would like to improve, for
example add some environment in the back, make my lighting less
flat and tidy up some UVs; but overall I am very happy with the